The former industrial and defence site of the former HMAS Platypus at Neutral Bay on Sydney Harbour was opened to the community for the first time in over 150 years as a new cultural, recreational and commercial hub in May 2018.
Now known as Sub Base Platypus and managed by the Harbour Trust, the site was the home to Australia’s six Oberon Class submarines between 1967—1999, the RAN’s torpedo maintenance facility 1942—1997 and the the North Shore Gas Works 1876—1932. After a period of extensive site remediation and completion of Stage 1 capital works the site is now open for public use. New works include a new park, wharf, playground, barbecues, submariners memorial and a new harbourside walkway that links the Submarine Wharf to Kesterton Park and the North Sydney Ferry Wharf to the south.
A stair at the northern entry establishes a new point of access for local residents, allowing access to the foreshore and public transport. Stage 2 will see refurbishment and redevelopment of the industrial architecture and allow for new activities on the site.
Urban&Public developed the branding, signage and wayfinding in an integrated approach that respects the site history, harbour location and the industrial remnants and structures on the site. The wayfinding signage has been designed to complement the industrial harbourside architecture, gas works and submarine related activities on the wharfs, using galvanised steel and suitably appropriate simplified details, form and typographic approach. The signs use a peg board system that will easily allow for future changes and new tenancies on the site as the site is reworked and opened up in different stages over the next few years.
Client // Harbour Trust
Landscape // ASPECT Studios (Sydney)
Architects // Lahznimmo Architects
Prototypes // Iguana Creative
Year // 2018